Tuesday 16 December 2014

Kerala Style Fish Curry

My husband's Malayali friend gave us some Kerala spice powders. So I decided to try this. I have done my way in available ingredients. So here is Kerala fish curry recipe.




Ingredients:
  • Fish Steak- 5
  • Eastern Fish Masala - 3 tbsp
  • Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
  • Curry leaves- 1 string
  • Green chilies, slit- 4 to 5
  • Ginger, grated- 1 tsp
  • Garlic- 6
  • Onion, sliced- 1 med
  • Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
  • Kokam extract (aagal)- 6 tsp (or kokam pettals-5)
  • Oil- 4 tbsp
  • Coriander leaves, finely chopped- 2 tbsp
  • Salt- to taste
  • Water- 1 ½ to 2 cups

Method:
  • Marinate fish steaks with turmeric and salt.
  • Crush coarsely garlic and ginger together.
  • Heat oil in a pan (I used earthen ware) and add mustard seeds, when it crackles add curry leaves, chilies, onion and crushed ginger-garlic. 
  • Saute till onion becomes pink. Add the masala powder and saute for a while.
  • Add water, mix well and boil it.
  • When curry will start boiling and become littlebit thicker (I think this masala contains black gram powder), add fish pieces. 
  • Add kokam extract, chopped coriander and mix carefully. Make sure that fish pieces do not get broken in the process.
  • Cover the pan with S.S. plate. Pour some water on plate.
  • Cook the curry for 15-20 minutes on low flame. 
  • Serve hot with rice or appam.

Notes:
  • Don't go on curry's bright red colour. It's not spicy hot. Because this masala contains Kashmiri red chili powder.
  • I made this curry for lunch. But I noticed that it tasted better in the dinner. 
  • I followed recipe which printed on packet. But I think if we add some coconut milk in this curry, it will taste more better. I like as it is also. ;)
  • This masala contains Kashmiri red chili, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek, dry ginger and garlic. So you can imagine the taste of masala and can be prepared at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is valuable. Keep supporting and loving for ever .....!