Val beans dal (valachi dal):
- Val dal- ½ cup (You may use Pavta dal instead of this dal.)
- Fresh coconut, scrapped or grated- 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Garlic- 4 to 5 cloves
- Onion, roughly chopped- 1 small or ¼ cup
- Homemade mix masala or Malvani masala- 1 tsp or (½ tsp chilli powder + ½ tsp goda masala)
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Asafetida (Hing)- ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- 4 to 5
- Jaggery- ¼ tsp
- Kokum petals- 2 to 3
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped- ¼ cup
- Wash and soak dal for minimum 2 to 3 hours.
- Griend fresh coconut, cumin seeds, garlic together. Add this ground mixture in the soaked dal.
- Cook valachi dal in a cooker as like other dal. You may take one or two vistles more to cook this dal properly because this dal little tough to cook.
- Open the lid of the cooker when the pressure reduces completely. Whisk well with a ladle so that the dal gets slightly mashed.
- Heat oil in a casserole or kadai (wok). Add mustard seeds for tempering. When the mustard seeds begin to sputter/pop, add chopped onion, curry leaves, hing, turmeric powder and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add mix masala or (red chilli powder+goda masala) and sauté for a few seconds.
- Then add cooked dal in this mixture. Add water to adjust the consistency of aamati/dal as per personal choice.
- Now add salt, kokum and jaggery. Stir it and boil for few minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with rice.