- Bharangi leaves, roughly chopped - around 2 cups
- Dried Val beans or Pavata beans- ¼ cup
- Onion, chopped- 1 med. size
- Garlic, bruised- 6 to 8 cloves
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Asafetida (Hing)- ¼ tsp
- Homemade masala or Red chili powder –2 tsp
- Veg. oil- 3 to 5 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Scraped fresh coconut- 2 tbsp for garnishing (optional)
Wash dried val beans. Soak in water for overnight or at least 6 hours. Drain them.
Wash properly bharangi leaves.
Chopped roughly. Combine chopped bharangi, soaked beans and required water. Cook in pressure cooker. Take 3 to 4 whistles. Squeeze it. Don't discard all water, keep little water.
Sauté for 2-3 minutes on simmer. Add salt & mix well. Cover & cook for 2 minutes on simmer. Stir occasionally.
Garnish with scrapped coconut. Serve hot with rice or bhakri/roti.
You can use small red lobia instead of val beans.
Second method :
Wash properly bharangi leaves. Chopped roughly and boil them.
Heat oil in a pan, Add pieces of 4 dry red chilies, onion & garlic, sauté till translucent.
Add turmeric, hing and .
Sauté for a minute. Add boiled leaves and salt & mix well. Cover & cook for 3-4 minutes on simmer.