- Low fat cow milk - 1 lit
- White Vinegar - 2 tbsp
- Water - 3 cups
- Sugar - 1 ½ cup
- Rose essence- ½ tsp
- Raspberry red food colour - 1 small pinch
- Gulkand (rose petals preserve) - 2 to 3 tsp
- Rose petals for garnishing
Boil the milk on simmer. While boiling, add the vinegar and stir it.
Your milk will start to curdle and chena will be formed after few minutes.
Lay a muslin cloth on strainer and pour this curdle milk. Now tied the two ends of the muslin cloth tightly and let it drain all the excess water, keep on strainer for at least 15 minutes .
Take out the chena from the cloth, add food color. Chena will turn into lovely pink color immediately.
Now mash the chena using your palm in big thali till it’s very smooth and creamy and has absolutely no lumps.
Now divide the chena into equal parts. Make also small balls of gulkand.
Take a part of chena, make ball. Make a depression with your finger in each ball and press in a small gulkand ball. With your palm give them nice and even ball shape. Make all rasgullas this way.
The balls should have no cracks otherwise it may break off during boiling. It makes about 15 pieces of rasgulla of equal sizes.
Add sugar and rose essence in water and boil. When water boils, add the prepared balls in this syrup, boil for 5 minutes on high flame. Rasgulls must float in water. Then cover and boil for 5 minutes on high flame.
Your Rasgulla is ready.
Now remove the lid of pan and let them cool.
Garnish with rose petals and serve them chilled.
This is cooling summer time sweet treat will be loved by your beloveds!
According to Ayurveda, gulkand is helpful to keeping body cool. It can be used effectively in bleeding through the nose which occurs in some children during summer.
Thus my “gulbahar rasgullas” are very effective in summer……to beat the heat in healthy and tasty way.
- Keep one thing in mind that these ball will be double in size after boiling in sugar syrup.So prepare the balls in that respect.
- Remeber the mashing chena is the most important step of making rasgulla because the quality of this sweet depends on its smoothness, sponginess.
- In the exact quantity mentioned. The syrup should not be thick and will be on the thinner side. This is very important.
- As the rasgullas will be almost double in size after boiling, choose a boiling pan of a deep and big size so that after increased in size they can easily play around in the sugar syrup.