During the Shravan, a holy month, we do not eat non-vegetarian food. Suran is good substitute to non-veg food. It's taste is satisfied our taste buds !
Chef Jategaonkar had shown a Chicken Kebab recipe in one TV show. So I decided to make this recipe with suran.
So here is recipe....
- Sometimes Yam/Suran may be itchy. Rub oil on your palms while handling suran.
- Use any souring agent while cooking to remove the itchiness of suran.
- Suran /Yam- 500 gm (I got approx 2 cups mash from this.)
- Beresta (crispy fried onions used for biryani)- ½ cup
- Bengal gram flour (besan)- 2 tbsp (I roast besan slightly.)
- Garam masala powder- ½ tsp
- Chilli powder- ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing)- ¼ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- as required
- Green chili- 4
- Ginger- ½ inch piece
- Garlic- 3 to 4 cloves
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Coriander leaves, chopped- 2 tbsp
- Peel, wash suran and cut in cube.
- Boil in water with pinch of salt and 2-3 kokum or 1 inch tamarind piece. Use any souring agent to remove the itchiness of suran.
- Make sure that suran is properly cooked. Let it cool.
- Mash or grate suran cubes. You can use food-processor.
- Combine mashed suran, besan, ried onion, green paste, garam masala, chilli powder, turmeric powder, hing and salt to taste in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide into lemon sized balls. Shape them into flat patties.
- Heat a pan, sprinkle little oil. Shallow fry on low heat till crisp and golden brown. (You can deep fry also, but they absorb too much oil.)
- Serve hot with mint chutney.
Beresta means....slice the onion and deep fry till they become crisp and golden brown.