I didn't like ever 'Ghosale' as bhaji. But our Khandeshi neighbour Mrs. Sarode taught this bharit to my mother, and I love it.
You also try once, I am sure, you will also like it.
Ghosale / Green Sponge Gourd :
- Ghosale / Gilaka / Green Sponge Gourd- 3
- Onion, finely chopped- 1 cup
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped- a handful
- Green chilies, cut- 3 to 4
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Asafoetida ( Hing)- ½ tsp
- Oil- 2 to 3 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Jaggery- 1 tsp or to taste
- Tamarind- a small lemon sized ball or Tamarind thick pulp- 2 tbsp
- Wash and scrap off gourds. Do not peel. You can use without scrapping also.
- Cut into thin slices.
- Take heavy bottom pan or wok. I use iron deep tava which is used for bhakari.
- Heat oil in a pan/tava or kadhai and add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add chillies, turmeric powder and hing. Saute a while.
- Add chopped gourds and saute.
- Add salt, mix well and cook until they become very soft and will look like mashed.
- Transper this mash in a bowl. Let it cooled.
- Combine cooked mash, chopped onion, chopped coriander and tamarind pulp+jaggery ( Dissolve jaggery in tamarind pulp). Add tamarind pulp as needed or your personal choise.
- Serv with hot roti or bhakari.