This fruit is available in Feb to May in India. This can be eaten on fasting day. This chutney is made especially for Mahashivratri fast.
Wood apple has many medicinal values. This fruit is rich in Vitamin A, C, B6, B12, antioxidants and minerals. It flushes out all the toxins thus keeping your body system free from ailments. This erases excess heat from the body so this is very good in summer. Unripe or ripe fruit is the best option to cure cholesterol problem.
- Wood Apple/Kavath- 1
- Jaggery, grated or crumbled- 2 to 3 tbsp or to taste
- Salt- to taste
- Green chilli- 2 or to taste (or 1 tsp Red chilli powder)
- Cumin powder- a pinch (optional)
- Break shell of Wood apple. This is how it looks like after breaking the shell.
- Take out all soft pulp.
- Mash is with hands. Discard the seeds as possible as. But seeds are edible, so no problem if remain any. (Today only I get idea from my neighbour. She suggested me that rub the pulp on large S.S.strainer. You will get fine pulp.)
- Crush or grind chilli without water or with salt.
- Mix all above ingredients. Mix well with hands. Chutney is ready.