Next day after Ganesh Chaturthi is Rushi Panchami. This day is devoted to 'Saptarshi' means seven rishis. This day is of special relevance to signify the purity of body and soul. This meal is a glimpse of rishis food and their lifestyle.
हि पाककृती मराठीतून वाचण्यासाठी इथे क्लिक करा.
This curry prepares various ways in a different part of Konkan. I am giving here our recipe. In my childhood, my grandmother used to cook this curry in an earthen pot on wood fire stove. That taste of curry was awesome, I never forget that taste.
- Colocasia/Taro leaves with steams (Aluchi pane),peeled & chopped- 1 cup
- Pumpkin (Lal bhopala), peeled & chopped- ½ cup
- Amaranth leaves (Math), chopped- ½ cup
- Kurdus (wild local leafy vegetable), chopped- ½ cup (optional)
- Yam (suran), peeled & chopped- ¼ cup
- Ladyfingers/Okara (Bhendi), chopped- ¼ cup
- Green beans (Shravan ghevda), chopped- ¼ cup
- Cluster beans (Gavar), chopped- ¼ cup
- Snake gourd (Padwal), chopped- ¼ cup
- Ridge gourd (Shirali), peeled & chopped- ¼ cup
- Sponge gourd (Ghosali), chopped- ¼ cup
- Green chillies, chopped- 3 to 5 or as per your personal choice
- Tamarind pulp - 2 tsp or to taste
- Fresh scraped coconut- ¼ to ½ cup
- Sea salt- to taste
- Wash and chop all veggies as desired size. Chop yum into small pieces, it takes more time to cook.
- Combine all veggies in a big heavy bottomed vessel.
- Add chopped green chilies and salt. Mix well.
- Cover with S.S plate. Pour some water on a plate. Do not add water, the veggies release water and enough to cook these veggies.
- Cook on low heat till all veggies cooked well. Stir occasionally with soft hand. Check in between by pressing hard veggies with fingers.
- Add tamarind pulp and scraped coconut. Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve warm with bhakari/rice roti.
Tips and Variations:
- These vegetables which grow without ox's labor are available in market on the day of Rushi Panchami.
- My aai/mom uses all veggies which she grow in her backyard. She uses home-grown tomato also for this curry.
- I have given here quantity of veggies, thus you will get idea. But actually you can add the veggies as your personal like and availability.
- Depends on availability of veggies, one or more vegetables mentioned can be skipped.
- My MIL adds some homemade white butter in this curry.
- Pumpkin and scraped coconut give sweetness to this curry.
- You can add other monsoon/seasonal veggies like sweet potato, white corns, cucumber, raw banana, bottle gourd etc.
- Pressure cook whole corn cobs with little salt before using in curry. Cut into small pieces.
- Rice which used for cooked rice and roti is also grow without ox's labor. This rice is called "Paynu tandul" in Marathi. This is also available in market on the day of Rushi Panchami. This rice is grind on stone grinder/Jate for roti/bhakari. This rice is also organic and unpolished. (I used here for photo regular rice.)
- This chutney contains only salt, fresh coconut and chilies. You can add raw mango if available.