- Ridge Gourd (Turai/Shrale/Dodka)- 3 med (250 gm)
- Potato- 1 med
- Onion, chopped- 1 med or ¾ cup
- Oil- 3 tbsp
- Garlic, crushed- 4 to 6 cloves
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing)- ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Homemade mix masala - 2 tsp (or 1 tsp red chili powder + 1 tsp goda masala)
- Goda masala- 1 tsp
- Jaggery/gud- a pinch (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander, finely chopped- 3 tbsp
- Fresh coconut, scraped- 2 tbsp
- Wash ridge gourd and peel its sharp edges and hard skin. Cut into 1" to 1.5" pieces.
- Peel and wash potato. Cut into ½" pieces.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan or wok and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds crackle, add the cumin seeds.
- Add chopped onion and crushed garlic. Mix well and saute till it becomes translucent.
- Add hing, turmeric powder and sauté on a low heat for few seconds.
- Add mix masala or red chilli powder and mix well.
- Add potato and little water. Mix well, cover with lid and cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat.
- Add ridge gourd, goda masala and salt, mix, cover and cook till it gets done. Stir occasionally. It takes approx 8-10 minutes. (Do not use extra water, rigid gourd discharges water. If needed, just sprinkle the water.)
- Add small piece of jaggery, coriander, coconut and give nice stir. Cover and cook for another minute.
- Serve hot with chapatti or with dal-rice.
This gourd has tough skin. When we prepare this vegetable to cook, we remove this skin. But skin is also useful to making another dish, how?........... Read this recipe. This is our traditional recipe. This skin has lots of fiber and iron contains. So don't waste it.
Ridge gourd peels stir-fry: click here for recipe.