- Small white transparent prawns/shrimp (aambadi/karandi)- 1 cup
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp (optional)
- Onion, finely chopped- 1 cup
- Ginger~garlic paste- 2 tsp
- Fresh coriander, finely chopped- ¼ cup
- Homemade mix masala or malwani masala- 2 tsp
- Cumin powder- ½ tsp
- Coriander powder- ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Asafoetida (hing)- ½ tsp
- Gram flour (besan)- ½ cup
- Fine semolina/suji/barik rava- 2 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Oil for shallow frying- as required
- Peel and wash small white prawns/shrimps (aambadi/karandi). Drain water from shrimps completely.
- Slightly dry roast besan. It is not must but if you roast besan, cutlets become more crispy and tasty.
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl except oil.
- Mix all together and divide into small portions.
- Heat oil in frying pan or griddle.
- Make cutlets and slightly press them with hand.
- Shallow fry cutlets from both sides till crisp.
- Serve as snack or with dal-rice as a side dish. Serve them hot when they are still hot and crisp.
- This same recipe also make with tiny white shrimps (ola jawala/kuta).
- If you don't get these small prawns, use normal prawns. Finely chop them before using. But traditionally small white transparent prawns/shrimps and tiny white shrimps (ola jawala/kuta) are used for this vade/cutlet.
- Some part of Konkan, scrapped fresh coconut is used in this cutlet.