In India fish & prawns dry in strong sun mostly in summer (Feb to May).
Every year we buy this in summer.
Buy whitish and glossy fish. Do not buy yellowish or blackish dry fish.
There is various types of dried fish available in market. There are two ways to dry the fish in India.
- Dried fish without salt - Mostly little fish and prawns are dried without salt. Dried prawns/shrimp(Sode), Dried tiny prawns (sukat/suka jawala), Dried white Small prawns (aambadi sukat/suki karandi), Dried Bombay duck (suke bombil) etc. are available in this category.
- Salted dried fish- Mostly big fish are dried with salt. They are cut, removed their inner parts and rubbed with lots of salt. Then dried them. Dried Mackerel (Bangda), Dried King fish (Surmai) etc. are available in this category.
How to store dried fish?
- Pick the impurities like stone or any useless fish. Clean them by sieving (चाळून) and winnowing (पाखडून).
- Dry in sun again for 2 to 5 days if necessary.
- Store the dried fish in the airtight jar. You may pack tightly in plastic bag. Keep the jar at dry place away from moisture. That way you can control it's smell also.
- Also protect them from ants, do provision for this.
- Even check and sundry them occasionally to protect from worms and moist.
- Handle with dry hands.
How to use for cooking?
- Pick the impurities like stone or any useless fish.
- Wash properly & soak in regular temperature of water for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze them and use.
Dried small white transparent Shrimps/Prawns (Sukhi aambad/sukhi karandi) अंबाड/करंदी - Before using, remove it’s head, legs & tail.
Dried Red or Black Prawns/Shrimps (Sode) सोडे - They are very tasty. They are used in many dishes. Latest rate of this dried prawns is Rs. 1500 to 2000/ kg*. Thus you can understand its popularity in our Kokan region.
Indian Small Anchovy (Khade/Tingali) खाडे/टिंगळी : This small silver fish is 5 to 7 cm in length. Actually I don't know what they called exactly in English.
Indian Golden Anchovy (Mandeli) मांदेळी :
Rest of dry fishes are not in my stock now. I will buy and update this post. Some recipes are given here. I will post all recipes of dried fish. Stay tuned...
- Dried Shrimp /Prawns Pulav (Sodyachi Khichadi / Sode Bhat)
- Sukatichi Koshimbir (Dried Tiny Prawns Salad)
- Dried Prawns, Jackfruit seeds, Brinjal and Potato Curry (Sode ghalun vang, batata aani fanasachya biyanchi bhaji)