- Green tomatoes- 3 small or 1 cup
- Green chillies- 3 or to taste
- Garlic- 5 cloves
- Fresh coriander- ¼ cup
- Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Asafetida ((Hing)- ¼ tsp
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Sugar- ½ tsp
- Wash and chop the tomatoes into big chunks. Also chop chillies and coriander.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add cumin seeds.
- Add garlic, chillies, hing and saute a while.
- Now add the tomatoes and saute a while.
- Cover and cook for about 2 minutes or till the tomatoes become little bit soft but not pulpy.
- Switch off the gas and let it cool.
- When it cools, add coriander, salt and sugar. Grind into smooth paste.
- The chutney is ready. Serve this with chapati, paratha, dosa, idli or Ghavana.
- You can add 1 tbsp roasted peanuts or roasted sesame seeds into this chutney for nutty flavour.
- You can use ripe red tomato instead of green tomato. But Green Tomato Chutney is more tasty.
- This chutney could also be made using ridge gourd's peels.
- It stays good in refrigerator for 2-3 days.