- Drumstick flowers, roughly chopped- 1 cup
- Scraped coconut- 2 tbsp
- Onion, finely chopped- ½ cup
- Bengal gram flour (besan)- 2 to 2½ tbsp (I roast besan slightly.)
- Rice flour- 1 tsp
- Tamarind thick pulp- ¼ tsp (optional)
- Roasted cumin powder- ½ tsp
- Coriander powder- ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing)- ¼ tsp
- Green chili-coriander leaves paste- 2 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- as required
- Wash the flowers and drain.
- Combine drumstick flowers, onion, coconut, chili-coriander paste, tamarind paste, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, hing and salt to taste in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide into lemon sized balls. Shape them into flat patties.
- Heat a pan, sprinkle oil. Roast on low heat till crisp and golden brown. (You can deep fry also, but they absorb too much oil.)
- Serve hot with tamarind chutney and coriander chutney.
- Select fresh and unwilted flowers. They should be whole and not broken.
- You can store drumstick flowers in refrigerator. Wrap in damp cloth or air-tight container for upto 3-4 days.
- You can use red chilli powder and chopped coriander instead of green chili-coriander paste.